Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Happy Inauguration Day!

I congratulate President Barack Obama on his inauguration as the 44th President of the united States of America.  I campaigned against him, and I disagree greatly with many of his ideas about government, but I wish him all the best.  I hold out hope that he does a great job governing, but I have my doubts.  I do have great hopes about one thing, though.  For our 16 years of Baby Boomer Presidents, we have lacked real manliness and dignity in the White House.  George W. Bush was closer to a gentleman than Bill Clinton, but his manliness trended more to machismo than the reserved masculinity that becomes a President.  George H.W. Bush had it, as did Ronald Reagan.  Barack Obama carries that air about him, and I have hopes that it holds true throughout his term.  The lack of manliness has been reflected in our culture.  (It may be a reflection of our culture, but I have to believe vice versa so that I can believe that it will get better.)  With some luck, maybe, just maybe, American men will follow the lead of a gentleman President and "man-up" themselves.

No comments: